NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE OF THE CANAL-DE-SAINTE-ANNE-DE-BELLEVUE (PARKS CANADA)
The Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal is expected to welcome boaters for the navigation season from June 15 until Monday, October 12, 2020.
Parks Canada also annouces that in order to ensure the safety of employees and respect physical distancing, access to the central island will be strictly reserved for lock keepers and other Parks Canada employees during the period of June-October. In addition, mooring will be limited in order to avoid excessive site traffic.
Finally, three lockages will be scheduled at fixed hour every day: 9 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.
These decisions could change over the course of the season depending on the evolution of the COVID-19. It should be noted that Parks Canada is currently carrying out major repair work on the upstream jetty; although no obstruction to navigation is expected, inconveniences such as noise and dust are to be expected.
PROMENADE DU CANAL (CANAL BOARDWALK)
The City of Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue announces that the boardwalk along rue Sainte-Anne and the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal will open on June 15. This decision is part of the City's effort to strike the right balance between allowing businesses and restaurants in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue to continue their activities, while being mindful of residents’ concerns related to COVID-19.
The City reminds users of the boardwalk, that to ensure their safety, social distancing and hygiene measures will be in effect and must be strictly followed by all. In addition to awareness posters which will be installed along the boardwalk, users will be asked to circulate in one direction. Arrows will indicate the direction of traffic and signs will clearly define the entrance and exit of the boardwalk.
To take full advantage of the attractions, restaurants, and shops along the canal, boaters moor and even spend the night aboard their boats. On land, pedestrians stroll on the boardwalk adjacent to the waterway while watching the lock's operations. Abundant in green space, the location is ideal for a picnic or simply for soaking up the sun on a beautiful summer day.
Built on an exceptional site, the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal has become a popular destination. Make the most of your walk down this strip by exploring its historical features and learning about this site's prominent role in developing our country's business and tourism during the second half of the 19th century.
The first canal and the first lock are built between 1840 and 1843. The Government’s wharf at the end of Rue Saint-Pierre was built around 1850 and used by both passenger and cargo boats. Parallel to the old ones, the current canal and lock are renovated between 1875 and 1882 with new holds where citizens can secure their boats.
Numerous passenger ships docked at Sainte-Anne’s, including the Old Field (before 1860), the Prince of Wales (between 1860 and 1869), the Sovereign (from 1889 on) and the Empress (until 1935).
Today, yachtsmen from across the province and the United States visit us every summer and happily borrow that impressive lock that makes us all so proud.