Temporary winter shelters (commonly called tempo shelters), whether car shelters, porches or other shelters, are permitted from October 15 to April 15 of each year.
Temporary winter shelters are authorized under the following conditions:
(taken from article 4.6 of by-law no 533)
- The shelter can be installed between October 15 of one year and April 15 of the following year. The shelter must be completely dismantled (structure and canvas) no later than April 15 and stored;
- The shelter can cover an existing porch, balcony or portico, even if the latter is deviating in terms of area, dimensions or location. The shelter can also be installed directly on the ground, adjacent to the intended access;
- A maximum of one (1) shelter is authorized per unit;
- The maximum height of the shelter is set at 3 meters. If a roof or an eave is existing, the shelter can join its lower side;
- The maximum area of the shelter corresponds to the area of the porch, balcony or portico. Also, an additional area of 5 square-meters is authorized for a shelter installed directly on the ground;
- No storage is allowed inside the shelter, with the exception of the equipment necessary for snow removal on the condition that access to the house remains free. In addition, the shelter cannot be heated or insulated;
- The structure of the shelter must be designed to withstand snow loads;
- No shelter is permitted within a sight triangle;
- A minimum distance of 1 meter must be maintained between a street line or the edge of the sidewalk and the shelter.