To take full advantage of the attractions, restaurants, and shops along the canal, boaters moor and even spend the night aboard their boats. On land, pedestrians stroll on the boardwalk adjacent to the waterway while watching the lock's operations. Abundant in green space, the location is ideal for a picnic or simply for soaking up the sun on a beautiful summer day.
Built on an exceptional site, the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal has become a popular destination. Make the most of your walk down this strip by exploring its historical features and learning about this site's prominent role in developing our country's business and tourism during the second half of the 19th century.
The Story Behind the Canal
The first canal and the first lock are built between 1840 and 1843. The Government’s wharf at the end of Rue Saint-Pierre was built around 1850 and used by both passenger and cargo boats. Parallel to the old ones, the current canal and lock are renovated between 1875 and 1882 with new holds where citizens can secure their boats.
Numerous passenger ships docked at Sainte-Anne’s, including the Old Field (before 1860), the Prince of Wales (between 1860 and 1869), the Sovereign (from 1889 on) and the Empress (until 1935).
Today, yachtsmen from across the province and the United States visit us every summer and happily borrow that impressive lock that makes us all so proud.
170 Sainte-Anne Street
Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue (Quebec) H9X 1N1
To get there
Toll Free: 1-888-773-8888
Website: Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal
Navigation schedule: www.pc.gc.ca