Designation : Ville (City)
Constitution : April 18, 1878
Merged with Ville de Montréal : January 1st, 2002
Reconstitution : January 1st, 2006 (Decree 977-2005)
N.E.Q. (Quebec Enterprise Number) : 8831858301
Area : 11,20 km2
Population : 5 012
Administrative Region : Montréal (06)
Electoral Delimitations : Québec / Jacques-Cartier (412)
Next Elections : 2017
Election method : Block
Territorial Division : Districts (6)
Gentilic: Annabellevois, oise
The parish dates back to the year 1663 and was originally located at the tip of Baie d’Urfé (nowadays Pointe-Caron). Bishop Laval went to the top of the island in the company Abbots Berny, parish priest of Lachine, and Dollier de Casson, Vicar General, to determine the limits of Mission St. Louis. The latter comprised the entire end of the island including Pointe-Claire, Île Perrot, Soulanges, Vaudreuil and Île aux Tourtes. This mission was served by Abbot François d’Urfé (whose name the nearby city of Baie d’Urfé now bears) and it was maintained as such from 1677 to 1703, the year of the appointment of the first resident parish priest and the opening of the parish registers. Canonical erection took place on September 20th, 1685, under the name "Saint-Louis-du-Bout-de-l'Île".
Between 1672 and 1680, King Louis XIV of France, ordered the parcelling out of this part of the Island in fiefdoms, one of which was granted to the settlers and was named Bellevue Fiefdom.
The parish was later named Bellevue in its memory.
The name Sainte-Anne was given under circumstances worth mentioning.
Early in its history, the mission had to retreat as it was subjected to unrelenting threats from the Iroquois. Abbot d’Urfé transferred its registries to Lachine and the mission settled at the head of the rapids near the forts of Senneville and Île-aux-Tourtes. Abbot de Breslay continued the missionary work of his predecessor Abbot d’Urfé in the small local chapel. Eventually, the chapel became too small because of a growing influx of Iroquois settling near the forts.
A miraculous event
In about 1712, returning from a nightly visit to the sick, Abbot de Breslay was caught in a severe snowstorm. His spooked horse went astray and threw its rider on the ice. Despite this unfortunate incident, a broken leg and no rescue to rely on, he vowed to build a chapel dedicated to St. Anne. When he regained consciousness, he was astounded to find himself in his bed unaware how he had gotten there. From then on, he hastened to make every effort to fulfill his promise, and soon after, the first church known as Sainte-Anne was built close to the shore.
Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue’s Village was founded on April 18th, 1878, and then incorporated as a city on January 12th, 1895, under Victoria Act 58 Chapter 56.
In 1911, part of the territory was detached to become the Town of Baie d’Urfé.
In the twentieth century, the north-west part of the island was further developed with the establishment of an agricultural school, Macdonald College campus, affiliated with McGill University. This rural educational institution was founded in 1907 and is still in operation today.
In 1917, the Federal Government erected a hospital (nowadays referred to as the Veterans Hospital) providing care to veterans of the two World Wars.
In 1919, Garden City Press settled here; the company printed important technical journals. Construction of Galipeault bridge dates back to 1924.
In conclusion, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue has made great strides in its evolution, and thanks to Dorval Airport, the whole world is at our doorstep.
The story behind the Canal
The first canal and the first lock were built between 1840 and 1843. The Government’s wharf at the end of Rue Saint-Pierre was built around 1850 and used by both passenger and cargo and cargo. Parallel to the old ones, the current canal and lock were renovated between 1875 and 1882 with new holds where citizens could secure their boats.
Numerous passenger ships docked at Sainte-Anne’s, including the Old Field (before 1860), the Prince of Wales (between 1860 and 1869), the Sovereign (from 1889 on) and the Empress (until 1935).
Today, yachtsmen from across the province and the United States visit us every summer and happily borrow that impressive lock that makes us all so proud.
|Thomas Grenier||1880-1884, 1885-1886|
|M. C. Bezner||1898-1899, 1901-1905, 1909-10, 1915-1916|
|L.N.F. Cypihot||1900, 1921-1922|
|Guisolphe Daoust||1906, 1917-1920|
|Bruno Lalonde||1907-1908, 1913-1914|
|Joseph Séraphin Vallée||1911-1912|
|L.J. Boileau||1923-1931, 1933-1934|
|A.R. Demers||1932, 1935-1938|
|Bill Tierney||1994-2001, 2005-2009|